How to get here
Its strategic location and excellent infrastructures make San Sebastián a place easy to reach from anywhere in the world, no matter what your method of transport. Choose the one that suits you best and get travelling!
San Sebastián has 3 airports (2 international) within just over 100 km of the city.
Only 20 kilometers from the city centre, San Sebastián Airport has connections to the major Spanish cities; Madrid and Barcelona.
Bilbao Airport, with connections to all Europe, is 105km from the city, and Biarritz Airport, served by French and international low-cost companies, 47km.
|SAN SEBASTIAN Airport shuttle service to SAN SEBASTIÁN|
|BIARRITZ Airport shuttle service to SAN SEBASTIÁN|
|There is no shuttle service. Alsa and Pesa bus companies offer this service from the Vitoria-Gasteiz Bus Station.|
Information on the accessibility to San Sebastian Airport
Getting to San Sebastián by car is extremely easy. The city is connected to the rest of Spain and France by the N-1 (the national highway connecting Madrid to Irun), the AP-8 (Bilbao-Irun) and A-63 (Paris-Irun) motorways and the A-15 highway (Pamplona-San Sebastián).
Another comfortable way to get in San Sebastian is parking your car in Ficoba Exhibition Center in Irun (at the French border, 20 Kms from San Sebastian) and take the Euskotren train to San Sebastian (40 minutes ride)
Once in San Sebastián, you can leave your car in one of the more than 6,000 parking places found in different parts of the city.
You can park on the street but only on TAO / OTA blue areas where parking is limited by time.
The train station in the centre of San Sebastián, the "Estación del Norte", offers connections to numerous Spanish cities including Madrid and Barcelona, and to international destinations such as Paris and Lisbon.
Train journeys to and from San Sebastián will gain enormously in speed with the new Tren de Alta Velocidad (high speed train), due to connect the city with other destinations in the near future.
Information on the accessibility to the Train station (Adif-Renfe)
There is also an underground railway, the Metro Donostialdea, a narrow-gauge train connection with Bilbao and cities along the Basque Coast, such as Zarautz. The service linking it also Hendaye (France) and the SNCF, french rail service, with Lasarte passing through Donostia. The train is popularly known as the "Topo" or "Mole".
Park in the free Ficoba (Irun) car park and take the train to the centre of San Sebastian.
- Duration: 35 minutes
- Price: 2.75€.
You can also get there by train from Hendaye (37 minutes).
Information on the accessibility to Amara station (Euskotren company)
The San Sebastian new bus station has lines to cities throughout Spain and part of Europe.
The underground station has 21 bays, a café, newsstand and a left luggage office with 66 lockers where you can leave your belongings. Navilens and Navilens Go app system signals posts are available all around the station. It also has two floors of parking space for up to 384 vehicles.
Eight of the city’s Dbus lines will stop in the area around the station, on the ground level: the lines 17, 24, 37 and 45 in front of Renfe train station; 9, 41, 42 at Duque de Mandas street and 27 at Gernikako Arbolaren pasealekua next to María Cristina bridge.
Private cars that need to leave or take friends and relatives at the bus station can use the "Estación" underground parking 15 minutes for free.
Information on the accessibility to the Bus station (Donostia Geltokia)
In addition to national and international routes such as those from Madrid, Barcelona, Santander, Asturias, Logroño, Pamplona, Bayonne - Biarritz or Paris the following provincial routes also have their departure / arrival at the new bus station: DO01, DO02, DO03, DO50B, DB02, DB03, DB07 and UK01.
Map of Lurraldebus - Lines departures from Donostia / San Sebastián
Information on the accessibility to intercity bus network (Lurraldebus company)
LURRALDEBUS LINES DEPARTURES FROM BUS STATION
- DO01 Donostia/San Sebastián- Zarautz - Bilbao
- DO02 Donostia/San Sebastián - Zarautz - Vitoria / Gasteiz
- DO03 Donostia/San Sebastián - Tolosa - Zumarraga - Bilbao
- DO50B Donostia/San Sebastián- Bilbao Airport Loiu
- DB02 Ermua – Donostia/San Sebastián
- DB03 Lekeitio – Donostia/Sebastián
- DG07 Eskoriatza – Donostia/Sebastián
- UK01 Azkoitia – Loiola – Azpeitia – Zestoa – Donostia/Sebastián
At street level, in Federico García Lorca street nr.2, the following bus lines have bus stops:
- E21 Hondarribia – Airport - Donostia/San Sebastián
- UK09 Zumaia – Donostia/San Sebastián (N634)
- UK10 Zumaia – Zarautz – Donostia/San Sebastián (AP8)
LURRALDEBUS LINES DEPARTURES FROM OTHER PLACES
- UK11 Zumaia - Zarautz - Orio - Donostia/San Sebastián (AP8)
- BU01 Lasarte Oria - Donostia/San Sebastián
- BU03 - BU04 Andoain - Lasarte Oria - Donostia/San Sebastián
- BU08 - BU09 Tolosa - Irura - Villabona - Andoain – Lasarte-Oria - Donostia/San Sebastián
- E01 P. Donibane - Lezo - Errenteria - P. Antxo - Donostia/San Sebastián
- E02 Oiartzun - Errenteria - P. Antxo - Donostia/San Sebastián
- E09 San Pedro - Donostia/San Sebastián
- E20 Hondarribia - Errenteria - P. Antxo - Donostia/San Sebastián
- E21 Hondarribia – Airport - Donostia/San Sebastián
- E26 Irun - Errenteria - P. Antxo - Donostia/San Sebastián
- E27 Hondarribia - Irun - Errenteria - P. Antxo - Donostia/San Sebastián
- BU11 Hernani - Aiete - Donostia/San Sebastián
- BU05 Andoain - Urnieta - Hernani - Donostia/San Sebastián
- BU12 Hernani - Astigarraga - Martutene - Donostia/San Sebastián
- BU13 Hernani - Astigarraga - Donostia/San Sebastián
NON - SCHEDULED SERVICES
HOW TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP PASSENGERS OF PRIVATE BUSES IN DONOSTIA / SAN SEBASTIÁN
Donostia Bus Station
Private buses coming to Donostia / San Sebastian must enter the underground Bus Station (Pº Federico García Lorca, 1) in order to drop off and pick up passengers. It is forbidden to do it in any other place of the city.
The operating rules are as follows:
- Each entrance to drop off or to pick up, costs 13,80€ per coach, tax included.
- This allows 15 – 20 minutes at the platform
- The entrance to the Station is through the lane marked BUS, and at the entrance, a platform number would be assigned and a ticket given, to consequently make the payment in the payment machines located at -1 floor.
- After the 20 minutes, coaches must leave the Station.
- If you want to park, you must request permission at control (Office 1st floor-door next to BM) 943 47 51 50 and every hour after the service will cost €15
Pío Baroja (Behind Miramar Palace)
There is a boarding and a lighting point at the west side of the town (Pio Baroja, behind Miramar Palace -43.314513 - 2.000097) where the bus can stay for 10 minutes for free. This point is very close from notorious monuments like Miramar Palace, Chillida’s “Comb of the Wind” sculpture or the Funicular to climb to Monte Igueldo Amusment park.
The coach can be freely parked on a suitable place behind Garbera Commercial Centre, at the east side of the town. (43°18'33"N 1°56'42"W)
This commercial centre is connected by buses 33, 24 & 27 of the DBus bus company
San Sebastián has a service area for overnight stays in campervans:
|Address:||Paseo Berio, 12 - Donostia / San Sebastián.|
|Coordinates:||[43º 18' 28'' N 2º 00' 51,6'' W / X= 580042 m Y= 4795677|
|Places:||Approx. 44 parking places. Separating lines between places.|
|Lighting and water point:||yes|
|Services:||Free, including water (2 taps) and electricity. Ecological waste disposal area.|
|Maximum permitted stay:||72 hours.|
|Price:||The campervan park works on the same basis as the OTA parking meter system in the rest of the city. The charge is EUR 7.60 in the high season and EUR 3.30 the rest of the year.|
Other parts of Gipuzkoa also have campervan parking areas: Legazpi, Renteria and Zumaia.